RE: kernel with APM support?

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:

--- Satish Balay <balay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:

I see. Thanks for the info. By the way, do you or anyone know why APM
support
is not compiled with the kernel anymore? Is it a 2.6 issue? There must be a
reason for them to take it out...

I really like FC2 -- the best of them all -- and am very hesitant to do
anything  which would create problems. It would be nice to have apmsleep
going
however.....

Boot with the kernel option 'acpi=off' <add this to /boot/grub/menu.lst>

Satish

Thank you. Pardon my ignorance, but what does acpi-off do, or not do? I just want to know what, if any, functionality, I will be losing.

Thanks again, and best wishes!

You can use either APM or ACPI for powermanagement (not both at the same time). With FC2 the default is ACPI. When you use the kernel boot option "acpi=off" - ACPI is disabled and APM is enabled.

Now the userlad 'apmd' can interact with the kernel & provide the apm
functionality (Fn-F4 for suspend etc..)

Satish