Re: installing thunderbird

At 10:36 PM 6/30/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:

what do you mean unpack and run either gui or cmd line, doesn't it need ro be installed into certain folders ?

Try this from a command line:

1. Make a subdirectory to hold the installed program.

    mkdir tb_holder

2. Copy or move the file you get from Mozilla into the subdirectory that you just made.

3. Change to the above subdirectory.

    cd tb_holder

4. Next decompress the tar file.

    gunzip thunderbird....tar.tz

   You have to put the right stuff in place of the ... in the above.

5. Finally,

    tar xfv thunderbird....tar

   Same thing with the ... part.

This should give you a program named "thunderbird" so that you can now enter

    thunderbird

to run it. If it isn't in the subdirectory name tb_holder (or whatever you chose to call it), then it's probably in a subdirectory of that one.

Dave