Re: set environment language at login screen

Phil Schaffner wrote:
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 13:23 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 19:40 +0100, Shashank Sharma wrote:

My query is, how to choose language if login is set
for init 3. I mean, how would I choose a language for
my session if I don't have a graphical login screen.

Believe the LANG environment variable will do it.  See what
"env | grep LANG" shows with the desired language environment active,
and then "export LANG=<setting>" in runlevel 3.

Try changing the "LANG=" setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n as that sets the default language. /etc/sysconfig/keyboard sets the default keymap, too.

Should have mentioned those for completeness, but sounded like he just
wanted to change the user environment rather than the system default.

Yes, but he did say "init 3", so I assumed he wanted a global change.

Shashank, if you wish to change the language for a specific user, you
can add

	LANG=whatever;export LANG

to their ~/.bashrc file (the file named ".bashrc" in their home
directory).  The login prompt will still be in the default language,
but once they log in, it'll be in their desired language.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -