Re: Fedora and IBM's OS/2

Am Mi, den 30.06.2004 schrieb Postmaster um 21:00:
> I am running IBM OS/2 ver 4.52 operating system box with two NIC cards
> and Firewall running a peer to peer TCP/IP/NetBios and TCP/IP file and
> print sharing.

I have a quite similar environment here and it works fine.

> In the past I had 3 laptops dual boot WIN98 and OS/2. These worked fine.
> Now I am moving the laptops to Fedora version 9. I have been unable to
> get any access to the Internet or to see OS/2 box or other Fedora laptops.

If you didn't change the OS/2 configuration, there should something be
wrong with the setup of your fedora boxes.

As a basic task you should verify that you can ping each fedora box (and
the OS/2 server). You may check:

- can you make a ping on each fedora box to its own address (that is
checking the basic tcp/ip setup)

- check the file /var/log/messages (use the program less) for any error
or warning messages regarding the ethernet cards or the network in
general

> The OS/2 box is 192.168.1.1 and laptops are 2, 3, and so on. All the
> hardware in the laptops are supported by Fedora IBM Thinkpads 600e's and
> an A21e. I have no idea how to get the Thinkpads with Fedora installed
> to access the Internet via an OS/2 box and firewall or to share files
> and dirs.

In principle you must activate ipgate on on the OS/2 box
(/mptn/bin/setup.cmd) but you should have done that before, otherwise
your Win98 / OS/2 client configuration should not have been worked. The
OS/2 box must be the default gateway for your Fedora boxes and you are
done with internet access. To access files and printers on the OS/2 box
you must activate tcpbeui (netbios over tcp) on the OS/2 box which is a
little bit tricky if you haven't done it before (you didn't need it for
OS/2 or Win98 clients). On the Fedora boxes you must install and
configure samba client.

Good luck
Peter