Re: Fedora and IBM's OS/2

Postmaster wrote:
Sirs,

I am running IBM OS/2 ver 4.52 operating system box with two NIC cards and Firewall running a peer to peer TCP/IP/NetBios and TCP/IP file and print sharing.

In the past I had 3 laptops dual boot WIN98 and OS/2. These worked fine. Now I am moving the laptops to Fedora version 9. I have been unable to get any access to the Internet or to see OS/2 box or other Fedora laptops.

There is no Fedora version 9. There is Red Hat Linux 9 and Fedora Core 1 and Fedora Core 2 (just to keep things straight).

The OS/2 box is 192.168.1.1 and laptops are 2, 3, and so on. All the hardware in the laptops are supported by Fedora IBM Thinkpads 600e's and an A21e. I have no idea how to get the Thinkpads with Fedora installed to access the Internet via an OS/2 box and firewall or to share files and dirs.

You don't say whether the laptops use PCMCIA cards or built-in adaptors. You first must make sure that Red Hat Linux 9 (assuming that's what you actually installed) supports those cards. There are a number of cards that Linux doesn't support fully, as the makers don't want to play in the open source community. You can, as root on the command line, run "lspci" to get a listing of what's found on the PCI bus and post it here. We may be able to help.

Assuming the cards are supported, try running (as root and at the
command line) "redhat-config-network" on each of the laptops and
set up their stuff appropriately.

	IP Address: 192.168.1.2 or .3 or .4 (as appropriate)
	Netmask: 255.255.255.0
	Gateway: 192.168.1.1
	DNS Servers: As used on the OS/2 box

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -