alsa failures on 2.6.6* kernels

i have been able to use alsa-driven utilities reliably on the stock
FC2 2.6.5 kernel, although on the recent upgrade to the 2.6.6* series
i have not been able to get any sound out of alsa-driven utilities,
although non-alsa sound utilities (xmms, realplayer 10 beta) are all
functioning correctly.

i have checked that all applicable channels are unmuted via alsamixer.
my driver is snd-emu10k1 for the sound blaster live card, which once
again functions correctly under the stock FC2 kernel. i have confirmed
and repeated my issue with the system-config-soundcard utility.

any clues?
thanks
brad clawsie