inodes VS files

I'm asking the folks on this list about this even though its not
specifically a FEDORA question, simply because of the brain power the list
represents.

To make a long story short, an Administrator about 200 miles from my
location ran the / file system out of inodes on RH7.2. It was determined
that /opt/arkeia was where most of the inodes went, so I suggested he nuke
/opt/arkeia after we freed up about 50 inodes by deleting some junk files.
Instead, he did :  mv /opt/arkeia /samba   , samba being its own file system
with tons of inodes. This was done in single user mode. The box was then
restarted with no significant messages. I got status reports over the phone.

After that mv command, the arkeia directory structure disappeared from /opt
as would be expected. However, it never showed up at /samba. df -i still
reports only 50 inodes available on /, out of 98000+, but the files are
nowhere to be found on that file system.

fsck was run, and it reports 98000+ files on /.
Running :
	cd /
	for x in *; do echo $x; find "/$x" -mount|wc -l; done
provides the file counts of each directory structure, and adding up the ones
on / totals 17000+.

/lost+found is empty.
find commands run looking for subdirectory names known to exist under the
original /opt/arkeia report nothing anywhere on the box. I did this thinking
he mis-keyed the mv target, but the file /.bash_history clearly shows he
keyed it in correctly.
updatedb and subsequent locates also find nothing.

Its as though there are 79000 inodes in limbo. I didn't think this was
possible.

Anyone with any ideas?

--
Bill Gradwohl