Re: rpm --verify -a

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:11:38PM -0400, Dwaine Castle wrote:
> I ran rpm âverify âa and received 2141 lines in output.  Below, Iâve
> included a simple distribution of the error messages and some examples.  Is
> this normal?  I installed FC2 from the DVD ISO image, and it passes the MD5
> tests as well as the installation media check.  Should I download the
> installation again, or go after the individual rpms, or is this an issue at
> all?  As far as I can tell everything seems to working well.

I don't see anything you listed that was terribly alarming. You'll
notice a lot of the config files are different in size and MD5 sum,
but that's to be expected if they change after installation. When I
did the same command I got similar results, although my numbers
where smaller as that particular system doesn't have as many
packages installed. I also had quite a few devices that were
showing a different user, but I assume that's because they were
installed under a different user than the one who built the package.

Do a man rpm and search for --verify and look at the description of
the error strings. You're seeing a list of every file that has
changed since install, but there are plenty of files that SHOULD
change after install.

As always, YMMV. If someone r00t3d your b0X and you don't catch
it because you listened to me, I'm not responsible.   =)