mailman/sendmail question

I installed mailman (again) and I set up the mailman mailing list and it
says it will send the list owner a notification that the list was
created.  I never receive the notification.  I go into the mailman logs
and in the smtp-failures log it says that an email from mailman-bounce
was denied with a User Unknown error.  The
/usr/share/mailman-2.1.4/INSTALL.REDHAT says that this error can happen
if the mailman list is not properly set up in /etc/aliases, but it was
properly set up in /etc/aliases because I never deleted it from the
mailman list again (after removing it, of course)  I've tried restarting
the mailman service and creating other lists and I cannot get past this
error.  Pleas help!