Re: How to clean virus-infected files ?

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 06:56, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 07:16, Alberto M R Davila wrote:
> > Thanks Charles,
> >
> > But... I have also viruses in my evolution mbox files:
> >
> > > //home/mine/evolution/local/KBD/mbox: Exploit.IFrame.Gen FOUND
> > > //home/mine/evolution/local/2002/mbox: Exploit.IFrame.Gen FOUND

> This is one problem with the mbox format.  To find the specific message
> that has the infection you may be able to search the mbox file for the
> name listed above "IFrame.Gen" or some variation of that.

That is not entirely true.

(search the archives for this subject -: ClamAV + worm in mbox file)
> I have not tried this but that is about the only way you are going to
> find the individual message in an mbox format.  If maildir format was
> used then each message would be in a separate file and this would be
> easier to deal with.

This can do the same thing for you in mbox format.  This was suggested
by Chrisof Damian (May 25 2004)

formail < evilmbox -s thescript.sh > virusfreembox

#!/bin/sh
TEMP=`mktemp XXXXXX`
cat > $TEMP
clamscan --quiet --unzip --mbox $TEMP
if [ $? == 0 ]; then
  cat $TEMP
fi
rm $TEMP

After that, diff it to your org evolution mbox file.

Hmm.. I think I've got to document this down in my "own" mini-howtos

HTH