windows-fedora dual boot

In updating to kernal(2.4.22-1.2194.npt1) I was unable to boot Windows
Me which resides on a separate ,removable disk.The message,"no fat file
present",was displayed.Upon booting Fedora 1 ,the 2.4.22-1.2115.npt1
kernal was selected from the grub choice,then shutdown,and the Windows
disk inserted and this time  booted successfully.Going back to the
Fedora disk for a second time the(2.4,22-1.2194.npt1) choice was again
made,booted,shutdown, the Windows disk inserted and booted successfully
this second time.

Why would the upgrade temporarily disable the boot loader,giving the
impression that the situation suggested a Windows XP comparison?
Being completely ignorant of Linux and computer know-how,the situation
could have easily appeared more problematic to a novice like me.Perhaps
it was only because my Windows disk had been partitioned to accept a
Linux distro ,though still unused,that the corruption happened at all.

I thought I should record this event since removable drives are
recommended as an excellent choice for anyone moving to Linux from
Windows and other Windows distros appear not to be immune from kernal
upgrade related problems.It has been my experience that removable drives
are an excellent approach and that Fedora Core 1 is a great choice for
anyone new to Linux;just don't be in a rush to upgrade.

Bill