Re: DNS and Postfix

Am Fr, den 25.06.2004 schrieb Abraham Ganem um 16:42:

> I need help with the following issues:
>
> 1.  I have not been able to understand how to setup
> the DNS.  For example, my Domain Name is
> university.edu.co,  my host name is micity so my whole
> the Domain name for my Internet Server would be,
> mycity.university.edu.co  , right?

Partly. You say yourself that the domain name is university.edu.co, so
mycity.university.edu.co would be a FQDN (fully qualified domain name)
given that mycity is your host's name. Running a mail server you must
run it with a FQDN, so that other servers can resolve that name
properly.

> How do I configure that?
>
> 2.  I'm using Postfix as my MTA,  I'm able to send
> mail's to my yahoo account. but I get this address in
> th FROM line in Yahoo:  FROM:
> aganeml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1) Configure your host to have a proper name. Use HOSTNAME=FQDN in
/etc/sysconfig/network and map IP and hostname in /etc/hosts too.
2) Configure Postfix to know about your hostname. RTFM on how to do
this.

> I'm using Webmin and I sended the eMail from there,
> In the FROM line in Webmin, it has
> aganeml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I tried deleting

Do not use tools like Webmin as long as you did not configure the
basics.

> manualy the www in that address and I got ir right in
> my Yahoo messege (aganeml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).  In the
> /etc/host I have
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain www.cecar.edu.co
> localhost www

Wrong.

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain  localhost
YOUR.FIX.IP  FQDN  short_name

> What I'm I doing wrong?  I'm sorry if my questions are
> to simple, but Im just getting started, so one again
> thanks for your patience.

Running your own DNS and mailserver is not trivial and you have to know
what you do. That is no starters job! You can do bad things for your own
and for the rest of the internet world in doing it wrong. So please read
the available documentation very carefully _before_ you start to
configure and bring your host online.

> Abraham

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 16:54:17 up 2 days, 15:32, load average: 0.16, 0.18, 0.18