Re: relaying denied

Am Do, den 24.06.2004 schrieb olga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx um 21:20:

> No, the way you explained the backup MX configuration I do not have it
> configured that way.
> But I did NOT say in the beginning that one of the servers was a backup
> server. This point came up only later and I guess X is not actually a
> backup.

Ok, then it got a wrong direction. Maybe a result too by your DNS
settings, where you have 2 MX entries with different priorities.

> The point of my question was that if I have two separate severs X and Y,
> some of the domains that where on X before rebuilt are now on Y, so why is
> X getting the 'relaying denied' messages for those domains that are now on
> Y and should be handled by Y MX? I believe this is a rephrase of my
> original question which has been answered by you.

Taking you did not fault: then either you changed something in the DNS
and not all other in the world have current but cached and wrong DNS
information, or as I suspected before you see SPAMmers at work trying
the second MX host directly.

What still confuses me and makes me thinking you made something wrong is
what you wrote in your initial mail about this topic:

I have checked the zone information for each of the domains on Y and
they have MX records listed correctly -- mail should first go to Y, then
to X.
             MX   10 Y.ns1.com
             MX   15 X.ns2.com

If you have 2 different mail servers each for it's own set of domains,
then these DNS entries are wrong! and must lead to errors. It would
explain some errors you see in your maillog.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 21:26:37 up 1 day, 20:04, load average: 0.08, 0.30, 0.33