Re: ntp synchronisation failed

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 19:34, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> In the boot process the ntp synchronisation failed whereas after the
> time synchronization is all right. Why ? may be because i use
> firestarter ?

That happens to me (in FC2) as well, and I DON'T use firestarter
(although I do have iptables started and configured with
system-config-securitylevel). My normal network interface is a PCMCIA
WiFi card, which is started up by the card services. ntpd doesn't start
until quite a few seconds (10-15) after the network interface has come
up, but it often fails to resolve the hostname clock.redhat.com, even
though the interface must have got its DNS servers from DHCP by then.

When ntpd starts on boot, it says something like (I'm paraphrasing
because I can't remember the exact error messages):

ntpd: Opening firewall for input from 66.187.233.4 port 123[  OK  ]
ntpd: Opening firewall for input from clock.redhat.com port
       host not found                                      [FAILED]
ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [FAILED]
Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]

However, once I'm logged in, if I do

$ sudo /sbin/service ntpd restart

I get errors on shutting it down (it says the rules its trying to remove
from the firewall don't exit) but then it starts up just fine:

ntpd: Opening firewall for input from 66.187.233.4 port 123[  OK  ]
ntpd: Opening firewall for input from clock.redhat.com port[  OK  ]
ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [  OK  ]
Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]

It's a bit odd. Does anyone know why this happens?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com