Re: How often should prelink run ?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:13:26PM +0200, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I know that prelink'ing is for gathering information about
> shared libraries and causes stuff to start faster.
>
> What I have missed so far is how often it should run ?
>
> Is it really necessary for a daily prelink via cron ?
>
> Prelink causes heavy disk activity and CPU utilization on my
> machine. I suppose it's sufficent to run it only if I have
> updated/installed stuff, right ?

Is it really prelink and not updatedb?
The daily prelink job runs in a quick mode, which essentially means
it just stats the 2000 binaries/libraries or how many you have and if nothing
changed since last prelinking, doesn't do much more.

Of course, if you don't change things very often on your box, you can
choose to run it less often.

	Jakub