Re: Linuxconf replaced by what?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:00:13AM -0400, Craig Thomas wrote:
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:00:13 -0400
> From: Craig Thomas <cjtinhp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Linuxconf replaced by what?
>
> Hugh Foster wrote:
> >I get "bash: system-config-network: command not found". Do I have to run
> >it from a particular folder?
>
> You need to be root. [su -]

Hugh should try redhat-config-network.

But still, Correct, When you run "su -" you change your user id to
root and also pick up the same environment that root would have.  The
key difference between "su" and "su -" is that root has in addition to
the normal directories two key additions: /sbin and /usr/sbin in the
command search list ($PATH).

Try this sequence of commands in a single terminal window.
    echo $PATH
    su
    echo $PATH
    exit
    su -
    echo $PATH

Compare the value of PATH for all three:
    normal user
    root with the environment of a normal user
    root with the normal superuser environment

Since system-config-network exists in two locations
(/usr/bin/system-config-network and /usr/sbin/system-config-network)
I suspect Hugh is running release 1 of Fedora not release two.

In FC2 the redhat-config tool has been renamed to be
system-config-something to more generic.

So Hugh should try  redhat-config-network.

Since there are two redhat-config-network tools on FC1 (and two
system-config-network tools on FC2).  It is worth mentioning that most
administrative tools are launched by linking to consolehelper where
the user is prompted for the administrative pass word.  The
consolehelper link is in the path used by normal users and will
facilitate the transition and avoid common errors like "su -"
.vs. "su" for many tools.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l