Re: Adding module into existing kernel

Hi,

I see... thanks for the info. I'm curious, then, how did these modules get made?

Albert

From: Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Adding module into existing kernel Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:51:19 +0200

Am Mo, den 21.06.2004 schrieb Alberto Ferrero um 23:37:

Please send only plain text formatted mails to the list, no html formatted mail.

> I'm using Fedora Core 2 and I end up getting a small problem when I > try to add ntfs module to let fc2 read ntfs partitions. When I compile > the kernel, compile the module, and load the custom kernel I am able > to mount the partition. However, if I load the stock kernel I am > unable to mount the partition because it says that the ntfs.ko module > cannot be found. If I do modprobe or insmod to load the ntfs.ko file > from the custom kernel I get a "Invalid module format" error. > Shouldn't I be able to load the module? Am I missing something? I > would appreciate any help. > > Thanks, > euix

The module fits only 1 specific kernel. If you build your own custom kernel, then it only fits that kernel and not i.e. the Fedora shipped kernel. Run a "locate ntfs.ko" and you will see that the module is only in 1 kernel modules directory, the one for your custom kernel.

You may use the NTFS modules from

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/downloads.html

and you won't need to compile your own kernel to get NTFS support.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13 Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435 Serendipity 23:48:18 up 2 days, 5:35, load average: 1.57, 0.62, 0.35 << signature.asc >> --
fedora-list mailing list fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win a trip to NY http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/01/