Re: Who is using ipv6 ... where to start.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:48:48PM -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 06:20, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:26:48PM -0700, T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> > 	Judging from the amount of smtp traffic I get on IPv6 into my MX
> > server and the amount of DNS traffic to and from my DNS servers as they talk
> > to other DNS servers on IPv6, I would have to say a LOT more than most
> > people on this list would even begin to suspect.  It also explains the
> > Mozilla slowdown when you have IPv6 enabled but are not globally routed
> > to IPv6.  Mozilla receives AAAA records for a URL and tries them before
> > it tries the A records.  When it receives an unreachable error or a
> > timeout, then it tries the A record.  That's why it appears to be slow.
> > If you run into a slow site, try running the command "host -t AAAA [host]"
> > and see if it has any IPv6 addresses.  If it does (and more and more do)
> > that's your answer.

> Extremely interesting:
>
>         $ host -t AAAA www.nytimes.com
>         $ host www.nytimes.com
>         www.nytimes.com has address 199.239.137.245
>         www.nytimes.com has address 199.239.136.200
>         www.nytimes.com has address 199.239.136.245
>         www.nytimes.com has address 199.239.137.200
>         $ host -t AAAA doubleclick.com
>         $ host doubleclick.com
>         doubleclick.com has address 216.73.92.112

> Two very important URL's (to me at least) that don't have ipv6 addresses
> right now -- just as I suspected.

	Not surprising.  Didn't say they all did.  The vast majority of
actual servers still don't, but the number is increasing.  You might
also need to check things like the DNS servers and such, as well.  DNS
caching and server to server traffic should deal with those problems
but the root name servers do NOT recurse, so if you're running your
own caching name server on an IPv6 enabled server but not routed on IPv6,
then the name server queries may have to time out.  A higher percentage
of name servers are IPv6 enabled than web servers, I will conceed, so that
could be (but shouldn't be) a factor as well.  I was really surprised
to see a survey of DNS servers recently that actually had TOTD (Trick Or
Treat Daemon) listed as one of the name servers encountered.  TOTD is
actually a translating DNS server that takes DNS requests on an
IPv6-Only network and makes the requests to the IPv4 name services
and then translates the A records to AAAA records for the IPv6-Only
clients (protocol translation and session management is then handled
by a different proxy such as pTRTd - Portable Transport Relay Translator
Daemon).  The presence of TOTD indicates service to IPv6-Only networks.

> jon

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx