Re: Will adding partition damage other partitions?

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 22:24 -0700, T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 10:07:28PM -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:58:43 -0500, Steve Snyder <swsnyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have unpartitioned space on my hard disk.  It is at the end of the disk.
> > > If I use fdisk to create a partition in that unused space will the other
> > > partitions on the disk be harmed?
> >
> > As long as you don't move any of those partitions, it should be fine.
>
> Yes... and to be a little bit more complete.
>
> As long as you don't move, change(shrink) or overlap onto an existing
> partition with data, it should be fine.
>
> Caution: when looking at partition tables notice extended partitions and
> how they play.  The partition stuff contains nasty old stuff that is
> hacked in nasty ways to manage modern large disks.

Also depends on how many primary partitions you have used.  Can have up
to 4 primary partitions, or up to 3 and one extended which can have many
logical partitions.  If you run into problems there, parted or qtparted
may be useful.  In any case, although the risk is low with free space
already available, a backup is always advisable before diddling with
partitions.

Phil