Re: KVM FYI

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Sean Estabrooks wrote:

> Maybe I missed somebody saying "Get new hardware"?  Instead people
> gave a solution that solved the problem of the mouse not working.
> It wasn't a perfect solution but should be good enough for most people
> until the problem is solved.   The OP appears to be in a situation where
> wheel support is desperately needed in conjuction with KVM access;
> unfortunately this is a corner case that still needs some work and I'd
> think a solution will emerge at some point.

The 100% solution for this corner case is really get new hardware... if
you go with a 100% usb kvm you can eliminate the whole ps/2 mouse
emulation issue entirely and your 7 button logitech mx mouse will work
like it's supposed to...

Part of the problem here is buggy hardware, my belkin usb-ps/2 kvm has had
6 released firmware updates since it was introduced, one of them entirely
broke support for modern macintoshes, but the ps/2 mouse emulation is in
itself pretty warty. A bigger over-arching issue is the kernel beeing
pushed to abstract all pointing devices. so you get everything through an
input layer rather than just raw... This is important because a large
number of devices running linux now have more than one pointing device, my
laptop for exmple has three when the external mouse is plugged in, tablet
pc's have two or more, my desktop has two, etc.  I don't expect that all
the issues will be solved overnight but the end result will be a better
input layer.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx