perl and UTF-8

I seem to recall some limited discussion previously regarding the UTF-8
support that was introduced as far back as RH8.  I recently ran into
this problem again on FC2 when installing a package that uses perl.

To resolve the problem I needed to edit the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file and
remove the .UTF-8 from the LANG variable.

I don't think this is a bug in perl.  As such why the insistence that
UTF-8 be the default?  What does this really buy?

Any chance of getting this changed in future releases?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Have you noticed the way people's intelligence capabilities decline
sharply the minute they start waving guns around?
		-- Dr. Who