Power down

I have read this some where but can't remember where.
I have my server connected to a UPS with software installed to shut it down
when battery is low. But the server does not power down. It runs the battery
flat and then it shuts down. Got any idea what I should edit? Linux does
shutdown, but does not cut the power.

With many thanks

Chris