Re: problems since last update

gillian bennett wrote:
hi,

I am runing fedora core 1.0 on intel. I upgrade pretty regularily when
there are security fixes or apps that I use need bug fixes.

I apply updates using apt. At last update (about 2 weeks ago) I have
noticed quite a few cosmetic changes to gnome and also to the login.

My login now says Fedora Core 2, and my main menu is now a black foot
with only 5 options *login
*logout
*run application
*search for files
*open recent

I don't care about the fedora core 2 thing, but I would like my main
menu back.

Thanks, Gb

Had the same issue on FC1 with KDE after apt-get upgrade - menu only has about 5 or 6 items.

I fixed it by rolling back to the previous version of the 'redhat-menus' package. I'm not sure how to do that using the apt-* commands but if you use synaptic, search for redhat-menus, click on the Expert tab, select the previous version and apply, you should get your original menu back. I hope it works as well for Gnome.

Course, this is just a bandaid solution - every subsequent upgrade you perform will want to install the faulty(?) redhat-menus package. Is there someone out there who knows whether the package is buggy or have I missed some subtle point somewhere?

Cheers,
Bill