RE: persistent routes

Sunday, June 20, 2004 11:49 AM Craig White put forth:
> I am playing with openvpn and since I ran it once, it rewrote
> my routing tables which I can get back by deleting 2 routes
> and adding one back in.
>
> Even with openvpn off and never launched at reboot, the
> routing table errors return and I can't figure out what it is
> that makes them persistent upon reload of service network
> restart or reboot.
>
> The information in ifcfg-et(0,1,2) is correct, unaltered.
> Though I have added the commands in rc.local to fix the
> routing issue, it is rather inelegant.

Hmmm. Are you using a route statement in the <tunnel>.conf files or are
you using a <tunnel>.up script?

I use the .up scripts on linux (FC1 and WBEL 3.0) and my routes come
down when my tunnels come down.

The route statement is valid, but I use it only on my windows clients.
AFAIK, openvpn uses ifconfig to establish routes when you include a
route statement in the .conf on a linux box. That may have an adverse
effect that creates persistent routes.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
eric<at>ediamond[dot]net