Re: How to determine scp Transfer Speed

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:36:14AM +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 04:39, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> > 	V simple question which someone google can't find. I can find using
> > google about ppl talking about comparing transfer speed using scp and
> > ftp and wget (over http) etc.. but for the life of me I do not have any
> > idea how to toggle scp such that it will display what the current
> > transfer speed it.
>
> scp uses encryption, so definitely does take a speed hit
>
> > All I get is
> >
> > File-transfer  %sent |###       1111bytes ETA
>
> scp -r foo@xxxxxxx:/myfiles .
>
> Will give me:
> file-being-transferred  %sent  size  transfer_speed  ETA
>
> Seems to work for me (I actually have such a job running now... :))

Works for me too.  Rates for small files are often silly.

In addition to encryption it can support compression (protocol version 1 only).

    scp -C -r foo@xxxxxxx:/myfiles .

For compression you trade CPU cycles for bandwidth.  Often on a local net
compression can slow things (depends on the data).

Inspect config files... o $HOME/.ssh/config and /etc/ssh/ssh_config with
/etc/ssh/sshd_config can alter behavior in ways you do not expect because
the flag was set there not on the command line.

 -q        Disables the progress meter.
 -l limit  Limits the used bandwidth, specified in Kbit/s.

If you are transferring a file in.  Do not ignore the ability to
do arithmetic in a second window.

    ls -l; sleep 60; ls -l

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l