Re: Firefox not working correctly

> From: Robert Spangler <bms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Firefox not working correctly
> Hi,
>
> Ever since I upgraded to firefox 0.8, I cannot just click on a web link in
> mail or irc and have it open.  Now if I have firefox already open and click
> on a link in mail or irc they open in firefox it works as expected.  Anyone
> have an idea what might be causing this?

This service is actually provided by an extension called MozEX.
Unfortunately the extension manager changed between 0.7 and 0.8 of
Firefox, so installing MozEX is a bit of a pain.

Once you install MozEX as an extension, you'll be able to right-click on
a web page and see the MozEX menu.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to
do anything with it or configure it as MozEX does not show up by default
in your extension manager.

To make the changes, you'll have to edit some information in your
default profile.

1. change directory to ~/.mozilla/firefox/default.???/extensions

   where - ??? is a random 3 character sequence

2. Add the following line to extensions.txt

   extension,{7c07e56e-b2f0-4932-bbe2-857a91b69f45}

In Firefox 0.8 that is all you have to do.  You should see MozEX and be
able to configure it just fine.  For information on how to configure the
various linkages in MozEX, see http://mozex.mozdev.org/faq.html

In Firefox 0.9, you'll also have to add information to Extensions.rdf.

1. Edit Extensions.rdf and add the following description for MozEX.

<RDF:Description

RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:{7c07e56e-b2f0-4932-bbe2-857a91b69f45}"
 em:version="1.0.7"
 em:name="MozEX"
 em:description="External commands integration"
 em:creator="Tomas Styblo"
 em:homepageURL="http://mozex.mozdev.org/";
 em:optionsURL="chrome://mozex/content/mozexPrefDialog.xul"
 em:contributor="Samir L. Boulema">
 <em:targetApplication RDF:resource="rdf:#$2RoED"/>
</RDF:Description>

I put this in between the last extension and first extra theme
installed.  However, since it's an RDF file, the placement should not
make a difference as long as it's the child of the right parent node.

2. Add the following line to the RDF:Seq block

   The block starts with:

<RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:root">

   The block ends with:

</RDF:Seq>

Add this line in between the start and end . . .
<RDF:li

RDF:resource="urn:mozilla:extension:{7c07e56e-b2f0-4932-bbe2-857a91b69f45}""
 />

You should then be able to start up FireFox and add the appropriate
configuration information.

As an aside, I found that backing up my profile, followed by creating a
clean default profile with the new version of FireFox, following by
importing bookmarks and passwords to be the cleanest way to upgrade
(especially from 0.8 to 0.9).

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .