Re: Locking down Fedora Core 2 desktop

> 4. Is it posible to prevent a user from running not allowed applications?
>    I want to avoid changing 'x' bit of N binaries. I would like to costumize
>    a file browser to allow only browsing memory cards and copy the content
>    to CDs ... I also want to disallow creating shortcuts on the desktop (so
>    that the user will not be able to run e.g. xterm). How can I do this?
> 5. Which 'easy to use' program should I use for burning CDs?
>

> Any additional hint / suggestion?
>

> Regards,
> Dezo
---

If you do not want the user to do anything with the desktop you could make $HOME/Desktop read-only
(owned by root, with rx access). It should work. I did not tried it latelly.

Perhaps you should also allow browsing the user home directory. Don't forget quota !

For CD-writting I use nautilus: Double click on "Computer" or "home" and then Places (or Go if you
chose Start-> Browse filesystem) --> CD Creator. It cannot get easier than that.

Maybe you already know that an internet connection does not stop "some" users to do what you want
to prevent. Perhaps the answer is something that I do not know anything about: selinux (disabled
by default in fedora2).

Regards,
Ioan