Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:52:23AM -0500, Scott Sloan wrote:
> "Give me a list of what the Linux community is seeking as far as
> hardware support and I'll see if I can get some bodies working on it.
> With a convincing email or two and we should be able to get it done"

Hardware vendors need to make available open documentation.

Reference drivers are nice because they validate that the vendor was
able to make it work.  Proof of concept at the source level.

What the open source "industry" needs is an "open source logo".
Intel has their "Intel Inside" thing open source hardware folk
need their little bug.

Consider the idea of an image  "Open Book lighting a path".
Stickers on shrink-wrap,  web pages can use the logo as
a link to the documentation.

Anyone an artist out there....
Make it cool and  GPL copyright it....

The point is that vendors need to advertise their efforts
so the open source community can do their part.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l