Re: Null passwords

Ok.  Here's the full explanation.  I'm learning Linux the hard way.  I'm just doing it.  And to do it I have to learn something about everything all at once.  So I'm working on my home system by installing a network server.  I have succeeded in getting decent Samba service (still some bugs to work out) and DHCP.

God bless my wife and kids who have the patience to put up with what I'm doing.  They work off of Win98 workstations and they hate to log in. I'm trying to keep what I do a minimum interference for them.

So I thought I'd take the opportunity to learn a bit more about passwords and security.  I've cruised through all of the configuration files I can think of, and I've read two manuals and a bunch of HowTo's about PAM's and security.  They all (understandably) talk about how to make things more secure.  One HowTo even praised the introduction of the pam.d directory as giving me the flexibility to revert security to be similar to Win98.  But it rather deftly avoided telling me how.

I'm interested in where the templates for passwords are set, and how to eliminate them entirely, partly to minimize the impact on my family of what I'm doing, and partly to understand how the whole thing works.  Cracklib seems to be built into the PAM module, but it appears only to be advisory.  The documentation suggests that "nullok" works as a password  argument in PAM, but I haven't  found a placement in any of the service stacks that works yet.

Dave