RE: See the entire disk, not just the home directory.....

Hi CHUN,

The out of the box Samba install for Mac OSX only allows sharing of your
home directory but you can change this if you edit your /etc/smb.conf
file on Mac.  Go to your Mac terminal window and login as root (if you
don't have root account you can setup with sudo passwd root).  Edit
/etc/smb.conf file and add a new share with path = /.  Run testparm to
be sure the conf file is clean and then restart the Samba daemons with
killall -HUP smbd nmbd or reboot the machine.  You should then be able
to mount the new share on you Linux box instead of the home share.  If
it doesn't work on the first attempt don't give up.  I had to tinker a
bit with my smb.conf file before I got it to work.  This smb.conf worked
for me.

[global]
  guest account = unknown
  ;encrypt passwords = yes
  auth methods = guest opendirectory
  passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
  printer admin = @admin, @staff
  server string = Mac OS X
  unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
  display charset = UTF-8-MAC
  dos charset = 437
  use spnego = no
  ;client ntlmv2 auth = no

[homes]
   comment = User Home Directories
   browseable = no
   oplocks = False
   level2 oplocks = False
   read only = no

[mac-ibook]
   path = /
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   oplocks = False
   level2 oplocks = False

Also if you upgrade to FC2 be aware that currently there are bugs with
mounting SMB shares.  See current post called smbmount problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Fred

  Hi there:

I have just worked out how to mount my Mac OSX to my FC1. However, as a
administrator, is there a way (command) that would let me see the entire
disk of my Mac rather than just the home directory?

Thanks

Yours

CHUN