Re: DHCP for multiple subnets (was: Re: Routing and bandwidth problem)

At 06:36 6/14/2004, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 05:04:47PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> However, what I said above refers to the fact that dhcpd *must* know about
> every subnet configured on the box even if it does not assign addresses on
> that subnet or listen on that interface. Why? Apparently (according to its
> maintainers) matching the subnet with the interface is how it determines
> with certainty which address to assign.

No, there's no need to have a subnet configured for an interface that
the server isn't listening on.

It would be a nightmare otherwise, in my case, as the eth2 interface is
connected to the internet with a dynamic ip, and it often changes
networks.

I'll try to be a little more specific: if you want dhcpd to accurately assign addresses to requests coming in on any or nearly any interface, what I was told by some of its maintainers just a few days ago is that the correct procedure is to let dhcpd know about any and all statically-configured subnets on that box. For example, even if I don't assign IP addresses on my Internet link with a static IP address, dhcpd would like me to let it know about that subnet anyway to avoid confusion (subnet without range).

Better for you that way?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com