Re: update to kernel-2.6.6-1.427 doesn't change grub default kernel

Hi,

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
"Bill" == Bill Beeman <bbeeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    Bill> "Marc Williams" <marcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
    Bill> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:07:17 +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

>> Hi, I did a 'sudo up2date -u' on my FC2 box and it picked up
>> the recent kernel errata 2.6.6-1.427. However, at the end of
>> the up2date command. I found that the default kernel in
>> grub.conf still pointed to the original FC2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358
>> recently applied kernel or is this left for users to tweak
>> manually

    Bill> I noticed the same thing using up2date.

    Bill> It is listing the later kernel first in grub.conf, but
    Bill> leaving default =1.

But for me, it isn't even putting an entry in grub.conf.

if you can see the new kernel when doing rpm -qa|grep kern then it means there went something wrong in the postinstall rpm scripts.

Uninstall the kernel, download it manually and do an
rpm -ivvh [kernel-rpm-here]

Iirc this gives you extra verbose output, what goes wrong.

Gruss
Rainer