Cups crap

I dont know why RedHat unloaded this beta software *Cups* on us, but
Ive had more printer problems since it arrived than I had in the
previous 15 or 20 years.

At the moment Im having problems with HPLJ4M+ and Sharp (network) printers.

They work fine on FC2T1.

With the foo-magic (or whatever) ppd file generated in FC2 *nothing* comes out
of the HP (the Sharp isnt in the CUPS database).

Replacing the ppd file with the one I have been using from FC2T1, the HP
printer is requesting that I put letter paper in tthe MP drawer, rather
than taking it from the 500sheet drawer where it has always taken paper.

Ditto a Sharp AR407 printer/duplicator.  Again with the ppd file that
worked previously, now it suddenly wants its paper from the 'straight thru'
drawer rather than the paper supply in the bottom of the printer.

Needless to say I need to get these two printer working before I can
convert to FC2.

And just WHY did they make it so hard to print?  Everything worked fine
with lpd...

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@xxxxxxx