Re: sendmail imap mailbox location

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mo, den 07.06.2004 schrieb Nina Pham um 23:24:

Hi, By default, imap mailboxes are located at /var/spool/mail/user-mailboxes. I'd like to change to another location so each user can access to his own mailbox (e.g., /imapMail/ninamailbox for nina, /imapMail/tommailbox for Tom, etc...) What file should I edit? Thanks. By the way, I'm using FC2

Nina

You would need to recompile Procmail by your own. Sendmail does not care for mail storage.

Use a mail client and that one will manage the location of the INBOX.
There is no need to place it anywhere else and break the normal setup.

Alexander

The way I do this is to use the Maildir format. This is very easily accomplished by changing the /etc/procmailrc file to include the following line:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Please note that the trailing slash (/) is necessary. It enables the Maildir format vs. the mbox format.

Then, you can use dovecot as your IMAP server. The default INBOX location is ~/Maildir/ which is exactly what was set as the delivery path in /etc/procmailrc above. All you really have to do is make sure that the proper IMAP/POP protocols are enabled to use dovecot.

The caveat in all of this is that you are most likely using MBOX format rather than MAILDIR format. You should be able to use some of the same features that I have described here, but with different pathnames, etc. In any event, you will need to migrate data for each of the users on your system. If you only have a small number of users, this should be a relatively easy task. If you have many users, then you should create some automated tools for the process. You should stop both the IMAP and sendmail processes before you start any migration.

As an aside, there are a couple of notable reasons for wanting to sort a users box away from a central default location. The biggest reason is that disk space is at a premium (yes, even in the days of cheap disk). I've found that usage policies go a long way to prevent space problems. Simply enforce the necessary space requirements as needed (again with automated tools) so that it is fair to everyone. A second reason for wanting to sort is due to potential lawsuits (in the US at least). An early phase in the legal process called 'discovery' can sometimes be tedious. If the proper procedures are in place, then this process can sometimes be reduced in the event that it occurs. However, prudent planning is a must and that may include relocation of the mail spool.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Doug Brott
brott@xxxxxxxx