Re: Oracle 9i or 10g on FC2

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:12:57PM +0000, Troy Campano wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Oracle 9i or 10g database running on Fedora Core 2?

yes, I was able to install 10g on FC2 just the other day.

> With 10g I get as far as creating the database with DBCA but I get that
> "unable to create shared memory segment" error. I've tried to fix it
> with setting 'export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1' in my .bash_profile before
> running DBCA, and tried setting it in /etc/profile and rebooting. I've
> also tried setting different memory parameters i've seen on various
> fedora/oracle web sites.

those settings didn't work for me either.

> Nothing has worked for me :(
>
> If anyone has been able to get 9i or 10g working with FC2 on an Intel
> machine, your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I got it working by compiling the 2.6.6 kernel w/o HUGELBFS support. This apparently broke recently because I had not problems installing on a custom 2.6.3 kernel in FC1 though I didn't try 2.6.3 on FC2 since the default kernel is 2.6.5...

You might want to try one of the newer test kernels from Arjan to see if the issue is fixed before taking the time to compile a kernel.

The HUGELBFS option can be found using the following steps:
1. In the kernel source directory type make gconfig
2. Expand File systems
3. Expand Pseudo filesystems
4. Uncheck HugeTLB file system support.
5. Compile as usual...

Once this is done you can pretty much follow the steps on the following site:
http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml

Hope that helps!

Eric