Re: Arghh! FC2 & other 2.6/2.4 distro installs won't boot

I don't have a solution, but a few thoughts...

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:11:18PM -0400, allan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have been trying without success to install FC2 (and other distros) on a new
> system that came pre-installed with XP. The FC install hangs with a blinking
> cursor upon first boot after enabling swap space before a login prompt or welcome screen.
> Grub was installed on the MBR. XP boots and runs fine.
>
> The system:
> P4  3GHz 800 FSB,  Gigabyte 8i K 1100, 1 GB dual channel DDR, Intel 875P chipset
> Matrox Millenium G550, Texas Instruments OHCI i333 1394 host controller
> Intel 82801EB ultra ata controller, 82801ER raid controller (not running  RAID)
> ICH5R sata controller
> Intel pro/100 ve network adapter, M-Audio Delta 1010
> Disks: Seagate 120 GB  ST3120022A, West. Digital Raptor 740GD SATA 74 GB
>   Plextor dvdr px-708a
>  IDE 0 Master  None
>  IDE 0 Slave  ST3120022A (system disk for both Linux & XP)
>  IDE 1 Master None
>  IDE 1 Slave  Plextor DVDR PX-78

Any reason these drives are set up as slave with no master present?
I'd try moving them to master/sole drive on the bus. I don't recall
the IDE spec well enough, but I suspect there may be issues with
running as slave w/ no master.

>  IDE 2 Master None
>  IDE 3 Master WDC WD740GD-FLA0 (intended as an audio disk, one 74 GB partition)
> CPU hyper threading is enabled in the bios.
>
> An attempted install of FC1 2.4.22-1.2115 fails similarly after loading the kernel
> modules and before init 5.
> Knoppix 3.4 boots ok but does not see or mount the raptor sata disk, and I cannot
> mount it manually.
> Suse 9.1 Live cd fails on boot with a fatal error trying to insert the aic79xx driver
> and failed services in run level 5.
>
> I am trying to determine the source of the problem -- X, SATA, one of the
> other mobo controllers, the display driver or something else I'm
> missing.

To eliminate X as the problem (I doubt it, but worth a try), edit
/etc/inittab and change the run level from 5 to 3, or even 2 or
1. Look for something like this, and edit the last line:

    # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #   1 - Single user mode
    #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
    #   3 - Full multiuser mode
    #   4 - unused
    #   5 - X11
    #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:3:initdefault:

Or, if the install will let you, initialize to boot to run level 3, no
X.

You may also want to edit grub.conf to remove "rhgb" from the command
line options for your kernel. It would be safer to copy the stanza you
want to create a new boot option, and remove "rhgb" from that one. If
X is the problem, then rhgb may also be a problem, although you appear
to be getting beyond it.