Re: HELP - Cannot install GRUB

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 14:14 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> I recently trashed a disk and I'm trying to recover. I got the partition table
> rebuilt, and now I need to install GRUB.
>
> Following the fine info instructions, I made a GRUB boot diskette, using the
> stage1 and stage2 files from an FC2 install, but when it boots, it stops
> immediately with a "GEOMETRY ERROR".

Do you get a "grub>" prompt?

> The error message doesn't reference a disk, but I'm assuming it looked at the
> repaired disk and didn't like it. Now I know the partitions are semi-bogus
> (not on cylinder boundaries), but everything works (I can mount/access the
> disk without errors).

Does fsck show errors?  How about the "v" (verify) command in fdisk?

You don't say how you are mounting the partitions - presumably by
booting from the rescue CD?  If so, might try "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
(or wherever you have "/" mounted, then
"grub-install /dev/<target-for-grub>" (e.g. "grub-install /dev/hda").

Phil