Re: Problems with using FC2 as Windows Desktop Replacement

On Monday 07 June 2004 20:18, Tony Perrie wrote:
> I'm attempting to use an FC2 desktop to accomplish everything that my
> Windows 2000 used to do, but I'm coming up short in several areas.  I was
> wondering if there exists software to accomplish what I need.
>
> 		Windows 2000	Fedora Core 2	FC2 Problems
> cd2mp3		CDEX		Grip       	- Doesn't handle two cdrom
> 						  drives well
> 						- Track listing changes
> 						  aren't preserved e.g.
> 						  if I change it, and
> 						  reload the disc, it auto-
> 						  loads from cddb

Kaudiocreator (installed as part of kde from kdemultimedia).... pretty cool.

> dvd player	ATI DVDPlayer	gmplayer	- Layer transitions are
> 						  choppy
> 						- Mouse doesn't work on
> 						  the selection window
> 						- Doesn't use ATI hardware
> 						  support for iDCT or MC

Yeah.  mplayer does not yet do DVD menus and stuff for me either.  But once I
point it to the mpeg2 file on the DVD it does a good job.  Some people like
Xine.

> divx2vcd	Nero		??????		- Transcode + xcdroast?

k3b.  Now also part of FC2.  VERY COOL.

http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/Linux/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/k3b-0.11.9-4.i386.rpm

> binary news	XNews		??????		- I tried a ton of readers
> reader						  glitter, BNR, Gnus, etc

pan.  It is part of FC2, I saw it does no longer have an icon on the panel
menu for me, so try running it from a console, if not

http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/Linux/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/pan-0.14.2-7.i386.rpm

decent.

- -Andy

PS... you started your thread by "reply" to an existing post... this crapped
up the thread.  In future try to start a new thread not by reply but with a
fresh email.

- --
Automatic actions for USB cameras, cardreaders, memory sticks, MP3 players
http://warmcat.com/usbautocam