FC1 on Sony Vaio (Post) install problem 2

This is the second problem I've got with my new laptop.

I can't seem to get sound to work, and when I try it freezes the whole box -
the only coarse of action is to hold down the power button until it turns
off.

When I rebooted after installing, it ran the first_run stuff including testing
the soundcard.  When I clicked on 'Play test sound' it froze.

I had to edit /etc/modules.conf to remove the sound details before I could log
in to a KDE session as it froze during 'Initialising Peripherals'

If I run redhat-config-soundcard it come up with the following, but once again
freeses when I click 'Play test sound'

Vendor: Silicon Integreated Systems [SIS]
Model: Sound Controller
Module: i810_audio

The /etc/module.conf entries that it produces are:
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :

If I run sndconfig at the console it detects the same settings, but when I
play the test sound it does at least allow Linus to say his surname before
the machine freezes.

I've done a 'yum update' to bring it up to date. Has anyone got any ideas what
I need to do next?
--
Gary Stainburn