SATA RAID 1 vs SCSI card

   I have a dual Xeon box setup using a Tyan Tigert i7505 motherboard
with two identical SATA hard drives set in a software RAID 1 off of
the Promise SATA connections. As this box is intended a prototype for
replacing our SGIs with, I want to attach an old SCSI-1 magnetic
optical drive to this machine. However I am rather concerned about
the finer points of competition for the sd* devicenames. In particular
since my SATA RAID 1 appears as md devices based of out Software
RAIDs of SATA drives on sda and sdb, what will happen if I add
a SCSI card and attach a magnetic optical. Under IRIX, the fact that
each SCSI bus had its own identifier in the devicename would
prevent this issue. Under Linux however, I am very unclear on how
one prevents the sd* device namespace from getting muddled. That is
how can I be certain that the SATA drives will always retain
ownership of the sda and sdb device names?
                     Jack