Re: FC2 Emacs very slow to load

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 06:31:59PM +0900, Jens Petersen wrote:
> Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 18:31:59 +0900
> From: Jens Petersen <petersen@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Clint Harshaw <clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: FC2 Emacs very slow to load

>     CH> Loading
>     CH> /usr/share/emacs/site-list/site-start.d/iiimecf-init.el
>
>     CH> This delay is around 5 seconds before the buffer is
>     CH> displayed in emacs.

Hmm... It does take a chunk of time.
Much longer than FC1...

I just modified /usr/share/emacs/site-list/site-start.d/iiimecf-init.el
so the four lines are commented out and my startup improved a bunch.

If a user wants it they could put it in their $HOME/.emacs .

Commenting out the four lines in iiimecf-init.el does make a big
difference. For me startup goes down from 5.1 to 1.5 seconds on a 1GHz
AMD box.  Might work if you want these functions for some users
and not for others.

There are many other site-lisp things that may not be necessary at
the site level too.

> I have tried putting my old
>     CH> .emacs file in my /home/username directory, but that
>     CH> has no effect, because this file seems to be loading
>     CH> before my .emacs file is loaded.

No such luck... strace tells me that LOTS of stuff is
autoloaded then $HOME/.emacs is inspected.  Lots more than
I expected.

>     CH> I have tried inserting the line below, and that
>     CH> doesn't change things: (setq inhibit-default-init t)
>
>     CH> Does anyone else have these symptoms with emacs in
>     CH> FC2? This wasn't happening in FC1, and a Google
>     CH> search for the above file wasn't helpful, except to
>     CH> see that it is part of fedora.

> If you don't need IIIMF support in Emacs you can just remove
> the "iiimf-emacs" package which includes the above init
> file, then the slow startup (due to loading the "un-define"
> from mule-ucs I think) will go away.

Good idea.

> Sometimes it doesn't pay to install everything. :)

But emacs is a kitchen sink + swiss army knife tool
why not load it all   ;-)

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l