Re: FC2 = Win 3.1 wanabe

At 09:05 6/4/2004, Richard Basile wrote:
I am not saying Linux is bad... I am not saying this at all.  I am
saying that for the able, Linux is good and, for the average consumer,
it is a huge gamble.  Unless, of course, YOU are there to set it up for
them.

Although there is some validity and truth to what you are saying, do also remember that the huge majority (>90%?) of people never install Windows, either... they get it preloaded and preconfigured when they buy a computer. They also get DVD viewer programs and CD burning apps which the computer manufacturer paid for separately since they don't come with Windows... but to the consumer it's transparent since it was preloaded.

I'm betting that if you compare a new user's level of difficulty in using a preloaded Windows with a similar user on a preloaded Linux (e.g. FC2), that the difference would be much *much* smaller. Hardware detection, installation, and configuration is still a more difficult thing than in Windows, which is something the computer manufacturer can avoid and/or solve when selecting components.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com