Re: Need help with a DNS problem

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:04:33PM -0400, Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am having a strange issue on my new Fedora Core 2 install with DNS.
>
> I have three systems connected to ADSL via a Netgear WGR214v2 Router,
> with one running Redhat 9, one running FC1, and the other my new FC2 system.
>
> The Redhat system is running dhcpcd and has no problem getting addresses.
> The FC1 system is running dhclient and had no problem getting addresses.
>
> The new FC2 system is also running dhclient and fails to get addresses for only
> a *few* names I've encountered so far.  And dig will give me an answer for those
> names, but nslookup will fail.  I have looked up everything I know and compared
> the FC1 and FC2 systems and they look to be configured the same.

A few possibilities:
1. hardware problems
  . does ifconfig report any corrupted package?
  . does it work with another ethernet controller?
2. routing problems
  . ecn shouldn't be a problem, as DNS uses UDP for simple queries
  . what's in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range for each system?
  . what shows in tcpdump?
3. if all fails, you could still run a caching named on your network and
use that instead.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.