From: Jason Kretzer [mailto:jrkretzer@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 6/4/2004 10:08 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Fedora Core 2 as internet gateway

	Hello all,

	This is a kind of long post, but if you answer it, I
	believe it will help a lot of people.  If I end up
	getting it working, I am going to post the solution on
	my website for others.

	I would like to set up a dialup internet gateway where
	all the computers on my LAN would use a single
	computer's dialup connection to connect to the
	internet.

	I would like the gateway to be running Fedora Core 2.
	Could someone give me instructions on how to set this
	up?  I have googled for it, but most either point to
	older versions of RedHat or use a cable modem as their
	connection.  I need to share a dialup connection.

	So to start this off, my first questions:
	1.) What IP do I need to give the gateway?  I assume
	one of the reserved ie. 192.168.1.1 or similar.
	2.) What do I put as the gateway IP when setting up
	the gateway computers lan connection?  Do I put its
	own?
	3.) How does one share the dialup connection?
	4.) How does one set the gateway to connect to the
	internet when one of the computers on the lan requests
	it?
	5.) How does NAT/Masquerading get done in this
	situation?
	6.) What about a firewall using iptables?
	7.) How difficult is Squid to set up?  Obviously I
	will need a proxy because of the slow dialup
	connection speed.