Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Is there a moderator for this email list?  I think we need one.

Bryan Encina wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Sean Estabrooks
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 7:15 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: cchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

The developers gave you the operating system you seem to enjoy.
They did it with a commitment to open source that didn't falter
the second something wasn't quite as good as was available elsewhere.
There is a need to support those companies that respect Linux and its
development process.   An eager willingness to embrace binary
only solutions suggests a lack of respect for Linux and
misunderstanding
of how it was created.

The last time I checked (which was never) Fedora (or any Linux distro)
didn't come with a restriction that said you must "respect" Linux, how it
was created, or the developers.  It's out there for everyone to use
regardless of whether or not they appreciate it.

Yes.   There still is a lot of open hardware.   No thanks to
people who
say they don't care one way or the other if an open source
solution is available.   The following comment from you
suggests a lack
of real support for open source and a lack of respect for the process
that created Linux:

"stable drivers is all that matters to me. GPL great but not
required."

Again, I wasn't aware that use of open source software required "real
support for open source and respect for the process."  Don't get me wrong, I
personally am grateful for all the community hard work (and I do help with
some open source projects) however it's not a prerequisite that you believe
in the "open source movement" to use open source products as long as you
don't break any of the licensing agreements.

-b