Re: FC2 Kernel Rebuild

Phil Schaffner wrote:
On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 14:09 -0500, Steve Pyatt wrote:

After trying for about two weeks to rebuild the kernel that comes with
FC2, I finally got it to work. At least to the point that it boots
correctly. The only web link I found that had correct instructions for
the kernel is this one;
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2465

Well, that set of instructions omits "make mrproper" as the first step,
which can be critical for Red Hat kernels - certainly has been necessary
in the past.  Also has quite a lot of stuff that is not relevant to
rebuilding/installing a Fedora kernel that may be confusing.

This procedure works for me:
#!/bin/bash
# /root/bin/make_linux
# # Kernel build steps:
# 1. Install the sources
# 2. cd <install directory> (e.g. /usr/src/linux-2.4
# 3. make mrproper
# 3a. optional - copy .config file from configs directory or
# old kernel, then "make oldconfig"
# 4. make xconfig (gconfig for 2.6 or menuconfig if not in X)
# 5. make dep (not required for 2.6 kernels)
# 6. make
# 7. make bzImage
# 8. make modules
# 9. make modules_install
# 10. make install
# 11. if required, configure bootloader. ("make install" will do
# this for you)
#
# This script implements steps 6-10
#
# Note: adjust "-j n" for performance on compilation
# runs parallel jobs
# -j 4 is a good starting place for single processor

(make -j 6 && make -j 6 bzImage && make -j 6 modules && \
make modules_install && make install) >& /tmp/MakeKernel.log

# check log file for errors when done, repeat as required, or reboot
# to test