busy hard disk = no response

I seem to have to use libata & ata_piix to be able to boot with by sata disk. Performace isn't as wonderful as the late 2.4 series kernels where my sata disk was seen as hde but it is passable. However with the non-scsi driver I could use hdparm to unmask interrupt request - i.e. allow the computer to keep doing something else if it has a very busy drive and I can't do that with hdparm now. Is there a scsi alternative? Otherwise my web, smtp, ssh - everything - goes down the toilet everytime my disk gets too busy.

note: in an earlier post I thought this might have to do with swap - I don't think so anymore about being told about swapiness.