Re: FC2 v's FC1: memory handling

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Marc Lucke wrote:

Anecdotally it seems that FC2 will do everything it can to avoid paging to the hard disk whereas FC1 was quite happy to go on chewing up hard drive until the proverbial cows come home. However performance seems to suffer - my sendmail process now takes so long to answer when my hard disk is under heavy load and I am beginning to suspect that the system's paging routines might have something to do with this. In FC1, 1GB of RAM did not seem to be enough, in FC2 no matter what I'm doing it won't use any more than about 2-300k!

I think this may be a kernel thing, but any comments?

Try: echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Checkout:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3000

Satish