RE: POP to mbox converter?

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 01:40, John Arthur wrote:
I am in the process of converting from OS/2 to Linux and I have
thousands of
e-mails saved in separate pop files. Does anybody know of a
program that can
convert all these pop files into mbox files? Or if I would have
to it myself
what is the precise structure of those mboxes?

Hi Eric,

For starters if you have thousands of emails you probably do not want to use
mbox. mbox stores all emails in one file so storing them in a maildir format
is better.

What I normally do to convert emails from MS Windows is to create a new
account on my IMAP server and simply drag & drop them in the email client
program normaly Outlook Express or Outlook 2000

Fedora comes with dovecot which I have not used and FC2 also has Cyrus
(Which I use on RH9) but it should make the conversion pretty simple.

Hi John,

I did find out about the mbox structure and I have actually already
converted the emails. Not that I like the large mbox files but it turned
out to be very easy to write a script to do it. It was more important
for me to get on to Linux now than to wait for a more appropriate (and
possibly difficult) conversion. Now I have amble time to find out how to
convert from mbox to whatever is best. Is there a mail agent that would
archive the messages in an sql data base or similar?

BTW, thanks to all who have contributed with ideas for this conversion.
--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen

Eric,

I would suggest dbmail (dbmail.org). I use it to store about 700MB of email
in a mysql database. postgresql is supported also.

Look for the program 'raw-convertor' to convert mailboxes to dbmail sql.

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open, and unhindered encryption.