Is it possible to 'sleep' while using ACPI?

When I use ACPI on my laptop under FC2, it won't ever go to sleep. I have the Battery Charge Monitor in my dock, but when I right-click on it and select 'Suspend Computer' it says "The Suspend command '/usr/bin/apm -s' was unsuccessful." If I run 'apmsleep +0:01' from a command line, it tells me that I have to recompile my kernel with APM support.

I'm using a kernel with APM and ACPI both compiled into it. It seems that if ACPI is loaded, APM won't work at all. If I go into Server Settings and turn off the acpid service, then APM will work and the laptop will be able to go to sleep, but I lose other functionality (the laptop has two batteries but APM only sees them as a single combined battery so I can't see the individual charge of each), and when I reboot I get an error saying "can't access ACPI events in /var/run/acpid.socket, make sure the ACPI subsystem is working and the acpid daemon is running."

Is there any way to make a laptop go to sleep while it's under ACPI management?